By Harold Brighouse
Get one wedding in a family, and it goes through the lot like measles
A comedy from the cobbles of Lancashire, set to the sights and sounds of the sixties, Mark Benton plays bombastic boot-shop owner Henry Horatio Hobson. When his 'plain' daughter, Maggie (Jodie McNee) becomes intent on marrying long-suffering boot-maker Willie Mossop (Karl Davies), Hobson's future looks uncertain. However it is hapless Willie who triumphs in this unlikely love story, as newfound fortitude deals a resolution that is - Hobson's Choice.
Read reviewsShow all reviews
"Nadia Fall's BRIGHT, BRISK PRODUCTION makes Harold Brighouse's 1915 play feel WONDERFULLY FRESH."
"Jodie McNee is tremendous as Maggie... Mark Benton brings a nice mix of bombast and chaos to Hobson"
"Harold Brighouse’s CLASSIC COMEDY... Mark Benton plays splendidly as a cross between Falstaff and King Lear."
"The core of the play is the relationship between Jodie McNee’s spirited Maggie and Karl Davies’s deliciously gauche Willie Mossop... both WONDEFULLY FUNNY AND DEEPLY TOUCHING... their growing love BEAUTIFULLY UNDERSCORED by the Gerry and the Pacemakers."
"GENIUS... Nadia Fall’s stock as a director has been rising... now the final, clinching proof of her skills comes in the deceptively bucolic setting of Regent’s Park... A WORK OF MASTERY."
“Jodie McNee shines as Maggie... A CRACKING SHOW."
- Director – Nadia Fall
- Set and Costume Designer – Ben Stones
- Movement – Jack Murphy
- Lighting Designer – Oliver Fenwick
- Musical Director – Tom Deering
- Sound Designer – Avgoustos Psillas for Autograph
- Casting Director – Juliet Horsley CDG
- Season Associate Director – Barbara Houseman
- Dialect Coach – Majella Hurley
- Assistant Director – Sasha McMurray
- Ada Figgins – Kate Adler
- Henry Horatio Hobson – Mark Benton
- Dr Macfarlane – Robin Bowerman
- Vickey Hobson – Hannah Britland
- Alice Hobson – Nadia Clifford
- Mrs Hepworth – Joanna David
- Willie Mossop – Karl Davies
- Jim Heeler – Bill Fellows
- Maggie Hobson – Jodie McNee
- Albert Prosser – Jordan Metcalfe
- Fred Beenstock – Leon Williams
- Tubby Wadlow – Richard Syms