Lyrics by TIM RICE Music by ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER
Following its overwhelming sell-out success in 2016, Jesus Christ Superstar is back!
Winner of the Olivier Award for Best Musical Revival - and Best Musical in the Evening Standard Awards - the production returns in an extended engagement (now playing until 23 Sept), giving audiences one final chance to see it in its original home.
Declan Bennett, Tyrone Huntley (winner of the Evening Standard Emerging Talent Award for his performance last summer), David Thaxton and Peter Caulfield reprise their performances as Jesus, Judas, Pilate and Herod.
Running Times: Act 1 - 50mins, Interval - 20mins, Act 2 - 50minsAs you may be subject to additional security checks on your visit to the Open Air Theatre, we ask that patrons arrive early. We appreciate your patience and understanding while these are taking place. Please note that latecomers will not be admitted until the interval and, should you need to leave the auditorium, re-admittance is not permitted during the performance. Gates through the Royal Park to the box office are locked once the evening performance starts.
Read reviewsShow all reviews
"VIVID and COMPELLING. Each new production needs a sprinkling of directorial genius to give it wings. Delightfully, the Open Air Theatre makes this work soar.
Timothy Sheader offers some of the most stylish direction I’ve seen all year”
“AN ALMIGHTY REVELATION
Each song is sung with such feeling that the soul of the piece, so volatile in tempo, comes roaring through.
Superstar’s potency and its Christ-like radicalism – courting sacrilege, achieving an essence of spiritual intensity – is reborn"
"A GORGEOUS, THRILLING, HEAVENLY MUSICAL. Wit, lyricism and satirical bite abound in this dramatic revival of the classic rock opera with a first-rate cast.
An unexpected and considerable pleasure that really rocks"
"The resurrection of the rock opera is cause for celebration”
- Director – Timothy Sheader
- Designer – Tom Scutt
- Choreographer – Drew McOnie
- Musical Supervisor – Tom Deering
- Lighting Designer – Lee Curran
- Sound Designer – Nick Lidster for Autograph
- Fight Director – Kate Waters
- Season Associate Director (Voice & Text)
– Barbara Houseman
- Casting Director – Will Burton CDG &
David Grindrod CDG
- Jesus – Declan Bennett
- Judas – Tyrone Huntley
- Mary – Maimuna Memon
- Pilate – David Thaxton
- Herod – Peter Caulfield
- Caiaphas – Phillip Browne
- Annas – Sean Kingsley
- Peter – Phil King
- Simon Zealotes – Tim Newman
- Ensemble – Nicholle Cherrie
- Ensemble – Josh Dever
- Ensemble – Mark Dugdale
- Ensemble – Ivan De Freitas
- Ensemble – Stevie Hutchinson
- Ensemble – Sinead Long
- Ensemble – Kayleigh McKnight
- Ensemble – Javar La'Trail Parker
- Ensemble – Nuno Queimado
- Ensemble – Lauran Rae
- Ensemble – Charlotte Riby
- Ensemble – Cleve September
- Ensemble – Tinovimbanashe Sibanda
- Ensemble – Kirstie Skivington
- Ensemble – Christopher Tendai
- Ensemble – Dale White
- Ensemble – Rhys Whitfield
- Ensemble – Tara Young