Jesus Christ Superstar won the BBC Radio 2 Audience Award for Best Musical in the Evening Standard Awards, with Tyrone Huntley winning the award for Emerging Talent. The production also won the 2017 Olivier Award for Best Musical Revival.
Celebrating 45 years since Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s seminal musical first hit the stage, Jesus Christ Superstar returned to London in a powerful new production directed by Timothy Sheader and choreographed by Olivier Award-winner Drew McOnie.
Singer-songwriter Declan Bennett, once a member of Brit Award nominated band Point Break, and more recently the lead in the musical Once, took the role of Jesus, with Tyrone Huntley (Book of Mormon, Memphis) as Judas.
With epic storytelling in the remarkable surroundings of Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, and a legendary score including I Don’t Know How to Love Him, Gethsemane and Superstar, this "GORGEOUS, THRILLING, HEAVENLY MUSICAL” (Guardian) is “AN ALMIGHTY REVELATION” (Daily Telegraph).
Read reviewsShow all reviews
If you need any reminding how skilled British musical actors have become in recent years, this is an evening to persuade and cheer:
Tyrone Huntley is brilliant as Judas...Declan Bennett’s restrained Jesus has an unforced charisma, and Anoushka Lucas is a soulful Mary Magdalene.
An unexpected and considerable pleasure that really rocks"
Superstar’s potency and its Christ-like radicalism – courting sacrilege, achieving an essence of spiritual intensity – is reborn"
Timothy Sheader offers some of the most stylish direction I’ve seen all year”
The real find is relative newcomer Tyrone Huntley as Judas: his soulful howl is the most electrifying instrument in this feverishly full throttle resurrection of a classic show."
The Arts Desk
- Director – Timothy Sheader
- Designer – Tom Scutt
- Choreographer – Drew McOnie
- Musical Director – Tom Deering
- Lighting Designer – Lee Curran
- Sound Designer – Nick Lidster for Autograph
- Fight Director – Kate Waters
- Season Associate Director (Voice & Text) – Barbara Houseman
- Casting Director – Will Burton CDG & David Grindrod CDG
- Assistant Director – Oliver Kaderbhai
- Assistant Choreographer – Simon Hardwick
- Jesus – Declan Bennett
- Judas – Tyrone Huntley
- Mary – Anoushka Lucas
- Pilate – David Thaxton
- Herod – Peter Caulfield
- Caiaphas – Cavin Cornwall
- Annas – Sean Kingsley
- Peter – Phil King
- Simon Zealotes – Joel Harper-Jackson
- Ensemble – Ashley Andrews
- Ensemble – Will Barratt
- Ensemble – Billy Cullum
- Ensemble – Josh Dever
- Ensemble – Omari Douglas
- Ensemble – Simon Hardwick
- Ensemble – Shanay Holmes
- Ensemble – Raquel Jones
- Ensemble – Bobbie Little
- Ensemble – Sinead Long
- Ensemble – Genesis Lynea
- Ensemble – Gloria Obianyo
- Ensemble – Rosa O'Reilly
- Ensemble – Joseph Prouse
- Ensemble – Charlotte Riby
- Ensemble – Cameron Sharp
- Ensemble – Barnaby Thompson
- Ensemble – Rhys Whitfield