Arts journalist and theatre critic Fiona Mountford, sits down with cast members Carly Bawden, Jo Eaton-Kent, Christina Modestou and Natasha May-Thomas, to discuss their character relationships with protagonist Billy Bigelow.
'PHENOMENAL...a brave and powerful production. The gritty, audacious, absolutely must-see reworking of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Carousel' (Time Out)
Celebrated for our innovative approach to classic musicals, rediscover Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Carousel this summer. Featuring a score that includes ‘If I Loved You’ and ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ – "some of the most beautiful music ever composed" (WhatsOnStage) its "outstanding…an adventurous, beguiling, resonant reinvention" (The Times).
Based on Ferenc Molnar’s Play “Liliom” as adapted by Benjamin F. Glazer | Original Choreography by Agnes de Mille
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Carousel is presented through special arrangement with Concord Theatricals Ltd. on behalf of R&H Theatricals. For more information visit www.concordtheatricals.co.uk.
Running time: approx 2hrs 35 mins (incl 20 minute interval)
Guidelines for Parents
As a sung-through musical, and with references to domestic abuse, Carousel is likely to be most suitable for secondary school age and over. The playing time is approximately 2hr 35mins (including the interval). Further information and synopsis can be found by searching online for ‘Carousel Musical’.
It remains the responsibility of the parent/guardian in advance of purchase to make their own judgement as to the suitability of the show for their own child. In any event, children under the age of 4 will not be admitted to the venue.
Read reviewsShow all reviews
PHENOMENAL…a brave and powerful production. ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’, sung beautifully by Joanna Riding, remains a thing of pure majesty.
OUTSTANDING…an adventurous, beguiling, resonant reinvention.
Some of the most beautiful music ever composed, Tom Deering’s re-orchestrations retain its SOARING MELODIC BEAUTY
Timothy Sheader’s Carousel glitters with STAND-OUT PERFORMANCES.
Declan Bennett (Billy Bigelow) and Carly Bawden (Julie Jordan) are SENSATIONAL.
Emotionally complex, current, and expertly conceived. A SOUL-STIRRING EXPERIENCE.
A tough, radical reinterpretation, the staging is crammed with texture. Drew McOnie’s INTRICATELY EXPRESSIVE CHOREOGRAPHY wordlessly sketches generations of struggle.
It’s wonderful to see how a classic show can be reckoned with and reframed. Spectacular but unsweetened, for the harsh here-and-now.
The Daily Telegraph
Carly Bawden is a coolly self-possessed Julie, Christina Modestou a comic force as Carrie, John Pfumojena brings zeal to Enoch’s grand plans and Natasha May-Thomas makes a dynamic stage debut as Louise.
Musical Theatre Review
Tom Deering’s new orchestral arrangements are FRESH, IMAGINATIVE and ACCESSIBLE. In a strong cast, Declan Bennett’s Billy Bigelow is nuanced and complex, and Joanna Riding delights as the warm-hearted, common sensible Nettie.
The entire company should be applauded for bringing this new, EXCITING and THOUGHT PROVOKING production to the fore. A Carousel that turns the tables on what you think the show could be. Take a ride. You'll be challenged but never disappointed.
Timothy Sheader’s staging wriggles free of sentimentality to find the darkness in the story, whilst still relishing the comedy and honouring the lush, haunting beauty of the score.
A VISUALLY-STRIKING THEATRICAL TREAT
Tom Deering's reorchestration is EXTRAORDINARY
- David Allen – Associate Set Designer
- Andy Barnwell – Orchestral Manager
- Joanna Bowman – Associate Director
- Lucy Casson – Casting Director
- Tom Deering – Musical Supervisor & Orchestrator
- Mark Dickman – Associate Musical Director
- Molly Einchcomb – Costume Designer
- Annie May Fletcher – Sound Associate
- Barbara Houseman – Season Associate Director/Voice & Text Director
- Nick Lidster for Autograph – Sound Designer
- Ingrid Mackinnon – Intimacy Support
- Simisola Lucia Majekodunmi – Lighting Associate
- Aideen Malone – Lighting Designer
- Matthew Malone – Assistant Musical Director
- Drew McOnie – Choreographer
- Ebony Molina – Associate Choreographer
- Verity Naughton – Children's Casting Director
- James Orange – Casting Director
- Susanna Peretz – Wigs, Hair and Make Up Designer
- Tom Scutt – Set Designer & Co-Costume Designer
- Timothy Sheader – Director
- Jacob Sparrow – Casting Director
- Kate Waters – Fight Director
- Nic Wass – Creative Associate
- Chanelle Jasmine Anthony – Ensemble
- Craig Armstrong – Ensemble
- William Atkinson – Ensemble
- Shay Barclay – Ensemble
- Carly Bawden – Julie Jordan
- Sarah Benbelaid – Ensemble
- Declan Bennett – Billy Bigelow
- Chrissy Brooke – Swing
- Jack Butterworth – Swing
- Madeline Charlemagne – Ensemble
- Brendan Charleson – Mr Bascombe
- Jo Eaton-Kent – Mrs Mullin
- Freya Field – Ensemble
- Sebastian Goffin – Ensemble
- Amie Hibbert – Ensemble
- Lukas Hunt – Ensemble
- Tim Hodges – Ensemble
- Tessa Kadler – Ensemble
- Emily Langham – Swing
- Sam Mackay – Jigger Craigin
- Ediz Mahmut – Enoch Snow Jnr
- Lindsay McAllister – Ensemble
- Matthew McKenna – Ensemble
- Jack Mitchell – Ensemble
- Christina Modestou – Carrie Pipperidge
- John Pfumojena – Enoch Snow
- Charlotte Riby – Ensemble
- Joanna Riding – Nettie Fowler
- Lisa Ritchie – Ensemble
- Christopher Tendai – Swing
- Natasha May-Thomas – Louise Bigelow
- Daisy West – Ensemble
Listen to the podcasts
Edward Seckerson in conversation with Tom Deering, the Musical Supervisor and Orchestrator of our new production Carousel.