By Arthur Miller
Set amid the Salem witch hunts, The Crucible, arguably Arthur Miller's greatest play, sees a community divided by jealousy and superstition.
As witchcraft hysteria takes hold, choices have to be made: conform to survive or uphold your beliefs whatever the consequences.
Read reviewsShow all reviews
The Daily Telegraph
“Under the direction of Timothy Sheader, the Open Air Theatre in Regent’s Park has become one of the most exciting venues in London.”
“Oliver Ford Davies is absolutely terrifying as Danforth...with his granite-like authority and that extraordinarily compelling voice that sends shivers down the spine as it rasps, rumbles and roars.”
“A midsummer night’s scream...beneath the amber night skies of modern London, the fate of Salem still grips and troubles”
“Patrick O’Kane plays Proctor with a tremendous physical frenzy and fervour”
“Emma Cunniffe gives a heartbreaking portrait of wifely stoicism”
"Timothy Sheader's decision to open this year's season with Arthur Miller's towering 1952 drama triumphantly pays off."
"As the darkness gathers, the imagery is extraordinarily potent"
The Mail on Sunday
"Sheader's vivid production grips like a vice...Patrick O'Kane's John burns with guilty passion...Oliver Ford Davies is truly terrifying"
"It's amazing what Timothy Sheader has achieved as artistic director of the Regent's Park Open Air theatre. He's made an outing into a theatrical event, and turned a decorative space into a vital one...his productions let rip. Sheader makes the play look as if it's found its perfect home."
- Timothy Sheader – Director
- Jon Bausor – Designer
- Nick Powell – Composer & Sound Score
- Liam Steel – Movement Director
- Paul Keogan – Lighting Designer
- Fergus O'Hare – Sound Designer
- Sarah Bird CDG – Casting Director
- Renny Krupinski – Fight Director
- Barbara Houseman – Voice Coach & Text Consultant
- Charmian Hoare – Dialect Coach
- Christopher Fulford – Reverend Parris
- Ellie Paskell – Betty Parris
- Anni Domingo – Tituba
- Emily Taaffe – Abigail Williams
- Charlie Cameron – Susanna Walcott
- Alexandra Mathie – Ann Putnam
- Geoff Leesley – Thomas Putnam
- Lucy May Barker – Mercy Lewis
- Bettrys Jones – Mary Warren
- Patrick O'Kane – John Proctor
- Susan Engel – Rebecca Nurse
- Patrick Godfrey – Giles Corey
- Philip Cumbus – Reverend John Hale
- Emma Cunniffe – Elizabeth Proctor
- Malcolm Rogers – Francis Nurse
- Paul Kemp – Ezekiel Cheever
- Gary Milner – Marshal Herrick
- Christopher Hunter – Judge Hathorne
- Oliver Ford Davies – Deputy-Governor Danforth
- Alexandra Mathie – Sarah Good