Music by Richard Rodgers Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II
Book by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse
Suggested by "The Trapp Family Singers"
by Maria Augusta Trapp
A classic musical rediscovered in the enchanting surroundings of Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre.
With a timeless score which includes ‘Do-Re-Mi’, ‘Climb Ev’ry Mountain’, ‘My Favourite Things’, ‘Sixteen Going on Seventeen’ and ‘Edelweiss’, The Sound of Music has inspired audiences across the world with its story of love and freedom.
Presented by arrangement with JOSEF WEINBERGER LIMITED on behalf of
R & H THEATRICALS of New York.
Read reviewsShow all reviews
"THE FINEST PRODUCTION OF THIS MUSICAL THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN"
"Charlotte Wakefield is superb as Maria: funny, forthright and movingly vulnerable when the emotional stakes are high"
MAIL ON SUNDAY
"Rachel Kavanaugh's superbly staged, gloriously atmospheric revival...scales every peak"
"Move over Christopher Plummer, (Michael) Xavier has even more of what it takes"
"CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN...TO GET A TICKET"
"The high quality of the whole production guarantees it will definitely be up there with "raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens" as one of your favourite things in the capital this summer"
"Maria's seven charges are a delight and the show's trump card"
"THIS DROP OF GOLDEN SUN WILL WARM YOUR HEART"
"The shadow of Julie Andrews is banished by (Charlotte) Wakefield’s girlish sunshine…the utterly disarming 22-year-old has a big, warm presence, a huge smile and a voice that peals through the evening air"
"A SURE-FIRE HIT"
"Michael Xavier brings a lovely understated poignancy to the Captain’s transformation from rigid patriarch into affectionate father."
"Glowing with warmth, performed with freshness and sung with clarity and simplicity. Resistance is futile, so go on – INDULGE YOURSELF"
"As appealingly clean and bright as the edelweiss Captain von Trapp sings of"
"CHARLOTTE WAKEFIELD MAKES A SUPERB MARIA"
"GLORIOUSLY ENJOYABLE I could barely wipe the smile off my face...the whole show maintains an all-important emotional balance, with moments that bring a requisite lump to the back of the throat"
"Buy a tickets and this may well become one of your favourite things this summer"
"a winning comic performance from Michael Matus as the cynical impresario Max"
"WONDERFULLY FRESH and DEEPLY FELT"
- Rachel Kavanaugh – Director
- Peter McKintosh – Set & Costume Designer
- Alistair David – Choreographer
- Stephen Ridley – Musical Director
- Tim Mitchell – Lighting Designer
- Chris Walker – Orchestrator
- Nick Lidster for Autograph – Sound Designer
- Pippa Ailion CDG – Casting Director
- Jessica Ronane CDG – Casting Director (children)
- Barbara Houseman – Voice and Text Coach
- Fiona Dunn – Assistant Director
- Peter McCarthy – Assistant Musical Director
- Kimberly Blake – Ursula/Nun
- Faye Brookes – Liesl
- Helen Colby – Baroness Elbefeld/Nun
- Nadine Cox – Sister Berthe
- Samuel Edwards – Nazi/Party Guest
- Tim Frances – Herr Zeller
- Victoria Hinde – Nun/Party Guest
- Helen Hobson – Mother Abbess
- Christopher D Hunt – Baron Elberfeld/Nazi
- Caroline Keiff – Elsa Schraeder
- Stuart Matthew Price – Franz
- Michael Matus – Max Detweiler
- Harry Morrison – Nazi/Party Guest
- Gemma Page – Frau Schmidt/Nun
- Laura Pick – Nun/New Postulant/Party Guest
- Anna Simmons – Nun/Party Guest
- Chloe Taylor – Sister Sophia
- Joshua Tonks – Rolf Gruber
- Charlotte Wakefield – Maria Rainer
- Helen Walsh – Sister Margaretta/Frau Zeller
- Terence Wilton – Admiral von Schreiber
- Michael Xavier – Captain von Trapp
- Finlay Banks, Matthew Muncey,
Jaydon Vjin – Friederich
- Elise Bugeja, Lily Burgering, Mia Jenkins – Louisa
- Alistair Blair, Oliver Breedon,
Arthur Gledhill-Franks – Kurt
- Isabelle Allen, Imogen Gurney,
Ava Merson-O’Brien – Brigitta
- Jaime Adler, Emily Carey, Amybeth McNulty – Marta
- Gemma Fray, Sarah Huttlestone,
Honor Kneafsey – Gretl