Open Air Theatre Re-opens with Jesus Christ Superstar: In Concert
By Open Air Theatre
We are excited to announce that Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre is the first London theatre to welcome back audiences with 70 live performances in August and September.
In addition to a special concert staging of our production of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Jesus Christ Superstar, which plays for 6 weeks from Friday 14 August 2020, we will also be welcoming comedy back the theatre with MOREoutdoor Mondays featuing Rob Beckett, Gabby Best, Russell Brand, Jimmy Carr, Kerry Godliman, Russell Kane, Olga Koch, Judi Love, Suzi Ruffell, Sindhu Vee and Mischief Theatre.
William Village, Executive Director said: “Following the government’s announcement last week that outdoor theatres may re-open, we have been working around the clock to find a way to open in August and September this year. With social distancing, seating capacity has been dramatically reduced to 390 seats (down from 1,256). This makes producing any large-scale show economically extremely challenging, particularly as we are an unfunded organisation. Nevertheless, both for us as a venue, and the industry as a whole, we believe it is incumbent upon us to do everything possible to re-open this year, and we’re delighted to announce this special concert staging of our award-winning production of Jesus Christ Superstar.
Of course, the safety of our audience, performers and staff remains of paramount importance to us. We will follow government guidance meticulously; measures to be introduced at the entirely open air venue include: reduced capacity, distanced performers, enhanced cleaning, one-way systems, mandatory face coverings, temperature checks, paperless and cashless systems and multiple hand sanitiser stations. All information will be set out clearly on our website and communicated with audiences in advance of their arrival.”
We have created an Information Hub to share the work we are doing and to help you prepare for your visit.
Timothy Sheader, Artistic Director said: “It has been, and continues to be, an incredibly challenging time for everyone working in the theatre industry. Whilst the arts sector awaits details of how the government’s support package will be disseminated, I’m heartened that we have been able to start work again with a number of our colleagues and to employ over 140 people including 70 performers and freelancers, at least for a brief period this summer.
However, a clear and specific timeframe for the re-opening of the rest of our industry, together with the complete and safe removal of social distancing measures in all venues, remains critical to secure the future of the arts in the UK.”
Add a comment
Please note that all comments are moderated. Your email address will not be displayed and will never be shared with anyone.